Thursday, May 10, 2012

Saying Good-bye

Consider this part of my ongoing grieving process -- _________________________________________________________________________
 
 
 

Two weeks ago I lost my faithful companion of 14 years -- my sweet Blarney -- a domestic shorthair cat that I adopted from the Animal Welfare League of Arlington in February 1998.  I named him after the Blarney Stone because I had just visited Ireland a few weeks previous.
 
From the moment he came into my home, he ruled the roost! He was, as my friend often said, 'one cool cat'! He had a great disposition -- cuddly on his terms, friendly to visitors and aloof as cats tend to be. He was my feline alarm clock and furry blanket.
 
He was a very strong cat, having battled thru many maladies over the years...for a couple of years I took him to a cat cardiologist for an echocardiogram (yes, they really do have cat cardiologists) He took the same heart meds that my dad still takes, though Blarney's were in smaller doses:)
 
He didn't really like to travel but once or twice a year we made the trek up to Connecticut to see my parents -- my parents doted on their grandcat and Blarney soaked it in and showed them great affection.
 
I think what I miss the most are the sweet meows and just his always being there and making me smile. There are 100 reminders around the home...
 
Walking in the door after work is the hardest for me because he would always come to greet me at the door. I've caught myself a few times about to call out to him. The first few days I put a sticky on my front-door key as a reminder. We also watched TV together and cheered on our favorite sports teams.  Blarney would also be right here by the keyboard. In fact just a few days prior to his death, he scratched at the keypad and pulled up the 'I' and '9' keys. I think I even tweeted about it:)
He was my confidante and my closest companion and he loved me unconditionally.
 
I am still grieving, but the sadness comes in spurts. I just let the tears come and I feel better. I have wonderful memories,100s of pictures and a sweet clay paw print that the veterinarians provided me.
 
Saying good-bye was heart-wrenching but watching him suffer, even for just a few hours, was worse. I am comforted knowing that he had a good life.  Blarney brought joy to my life and I am forever grateful for the 14 years we had together. He is irreplaceable in my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment