Monday, October 17, 2011

Be Mindful of What's In Your Trunk!

A rambling trip down I-95...
I have driven the Virginia to Connecticut route and back more than 150 times over the years and I still get antsy when I make a wrong turn in and around New York City.  Driving back last night, I followed a different route courtesy of LOLA, my GPS.  Then she 'lost satellite reception' right at a crucial turn...think Robert Frost...but I took the road less correct.  Minor panic as the Welcome to Manhattan sign greeted me before a new toll plaza appeared.  Thankfully, I was but a mere 5 minutes from the George Washington Bridge and this route actually afforded me a beautiful view of the bridge across the Hudson River.

                                                                                     
I think every state along the I-95 corridor was knee deep in construction last night -- Right Lane Closed Ahead signs were everywhere.  Thankfully, I had a cute little Mazda rental and a bag full of cds to occupy my time as I crept along.
A couple of things I did wonder about:
  • Why are trucks allowed only on the upper level of the GW Bridge -- that defies logic?
  • When the local NY City traffic report mentions 'In-Bound' traffic -- is that North or South? (For future reference, 'in-bound' refers to traffic coming from NJ into NY)
  • Why does NJ Turnpike set a rate of $9.05 to drive the entire length -- who travels with nickels and why don't I have an EZPass anyway? 
  • The newly constructed Delaware service area blows the NJ historically named service areas out-of-the-water!
  • FYI -- Richard Stockton (Service area southbound between Exit 7 & 7A) signed the Declaration of Independence -- I hope that's not his only namesake.
...but I digress...
As I snaked my way thru Maryland on I-95S last night, I came upon the site where just six weeks previously, my tire blew out.  That frightening experience happened about 10:30 at night as I was also driving solo back from Connecticut.
Thankfully, I was able to bring my car safely to the shoulder from the middle lane -- wow, does it rock n roll.  After the requisite cry, I called AAA and was given an estimated time of service.  Just to be clear, I know how to change a tire, but I was not comfortable doing so on the side of a busy highway at night.  As I was hanging up from AAA, a MD State Trooper pulled onto the shoulder behind my car.  He offered to wait with me until AAA arrived.  We had a nice chat while AAA didn't show.
As an aside, my car was packed to the gills that night.  I was bringing back a classic old vanity (which now doubles as my desk) and that was wedged into the back seat.  As this was Labor Day weekend, I had decided to bring all my summer dresses up to my parents' house and give them (the dresses) a good end-of-season cleaning...and I also brought another load of my laundry and other odds n ends.  When you take a car trip, careful packing goes out the window.
So the officer began to take pity on me and probably went against protocol and offered to change the tire for me...I was to be his flashlight assistant.
So I popped the trunk from inside the car and suddenly heard nothing except a loud 'ahem' from trunk-side.  I quickly ran back there and just started to laugh!  Now strewn across the inside of my trunk, over the wheel case, was a tipped over bag of clean laundry that had contained all of my undergarments!  I continued nervously laughing while I grabbed at every exposed piece of clothing, stuffing them back in their bag.  Mom would be proud -- at least it was clean!
(The officer was able to get the tire changed and I was on my way.)
So, when you pack up that car next trip, be mindful of what's in the trunk:)  You never know who might be looking! 
And last night, that picture gave me a much needed laugh:)

No comments:

Post a Comment