Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The End of an Era

On Wednesday they’re coming to tow it away…

I’m not one to anthropomorphize things BUT it’s hard not to think of a car as a member of the family when it's been a part of your life for more than 10 years.

So many road-trips, so much laughter, so much gasoline consumed…



But several months ago she broke down on my way to the airport to fly to Connecticut and it is cost-prohibitive to fix. One of the cylinders malfunctioned requiring a re-build of the engine.  My honest but naive response to the mechanic was ‘But why can’t it run on the other five cylinders?’  I still don’t think it’s a far-fetched question or one that should evoke laughter:)

The car has been sitting in my parking space for months while I dithered about what to do with it.  Frankly doing nothing seemed the best option.

But the time has come to act and let it go…

I’m not getting a replacement – I have been going car-less for six months already and while it does take planning and a knowledge of and reliance on a sometimes unreliable public transportation system, I am coping.  I love to walk and I am grateful to live just a few blocks from the Metro and bus routes.  Simple errands often take longer, volunteering at night is more difficult due to bus schedules and I haven't faced walking in the cold yet, but so far I am managing quite well. For longer trips, I have become a savvy renter.

Most locales are public-transit friendly – and with the advent of weekend Marc-train service, the commute to BWI airport will get easier.  But Annapolis – I’m looking to you to change your ways.  No state capital should be so cut off from surrounding metro areas.


So good-bye Chevy Malibu – thanks for the memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment